Here are the pictures of the completed project. I chose very soft, slightly varigated yarn. I also wanted some colors that would work well for Easter.
One thing you really have to learn in crocheting is that you may have to tear your work out at times. I noticed my puff stitches were pretty loose, and my chains for the brim ended up very tight. So this hat should fit Lexi above. (But when I first finished it, it didn't. ) I was way too tight, I would have fit a 3-6 month old child, but then would have looked like a Pillsbury dough boy hat on the child. So I ripped out the last 4 rows of chain stitches. Having to literally use scissors to cut them out. Then I re-crocheted those 4 rows, using a bigger hook and making sure I used a looser stitch. Which ended up with the result above. (The hat fitting.)
In the video she adds a darling little scallop for the last row, and also 4 chains to be sewn around the bottom of the hat, and also adds a crocheted button cover. (It is so precious, and definitely vintage looking.) But Lexi said it was too dressy for her, so I stopped here. I added a flower, and thought this one was dressier than a crocheted flower would have been. This flower is just pinned on. If you decide to give this hat a go, have patience, but have fun. I really did enjoy learning this new "puff stitch" and love the look of the hat too. And the hat itself works up quick, adding on the extras takes some time though. (Oh and you might want to grab a larger hook -at least one or two sizes up for the chains at the bottom.)